Thursday, February 5, 2009

DON'T COUNT YOUR CHICKENS BEFORE THEIR HATCHED

I was so excited on my last post. Thought our son was coming home. That was a short lived excitement. He called to tell us that the airlines computers were down and they didn't know when they were going to leave. Well, it turned out they were only about an hour behind schedule. So, he's on his way to Georgia. I get back on the internet to check and see if the plane that he is supposed to get on to come home in is going to be delayed. Of course not. I'm now just hoping the pilot can make up some time in the air and get to Georgia before the other plane leaves. My son's plane is scheduled to arrive at 10:05 and his plane home is scheduled to leave at 9:50. That plane is the last plane of the day. No more flights to home until morning. Well, needless to say, the plane home didn't wait to bring him home. As he was landing in Georgia the plane home was leaving. What a disappointment. :( So the airport set him up in a nearby hotel. They shuttled him to the hotel and then will shuttle him back to the airport in the morning. When he got to the hotel room he called us right away. He's staying in a $500 a night room in the sheraton. He also got a $10 meal voucher. Now we're all jealous!!! He went to go get something to eat but decided to just get something out of the vending machine. A cheeseburger was going to cost him $15. Boy, their food must be lined in gold.

Tuesday morning, me, the hubby and the fiance got up and headed for the airport around 9:30. My son's plane wasn't expected until nearly noon but we decided to go out for breakfast. Not so good weather came thru that night so we were a little cautious with the hour and a half drive. We decided to go straight to the airport to check on the status of the flight. Good, right on time. We went to Burger King to get a quick bite. Don't go to a fast food place when you're on a schedule. They screwed up one of our orders. So we had to hurry and eat. As we were pulling up to the airport we saw his plane landing. We got into the airport to find a good hiding spot for his fiance and just in time. Hugs, kisses and SURPRISE. He sure was glad to be home. He says it's going to be a long time before he flies again and he's not going to fly into that Georgia airport again.



Waiting for the order they messed up.


The fiance.



Fiance drawing the "welcome home" sign on the chalkboard. The chalkboard is one of my trash to treasure projects. Just spraypainted chalkboard paint on it and voila'.






You may have seen this on another post but I just think it is the neatest thing.






HE'S HOME!!!!


The other guy is a friend that was coming home at the same time. They were both glad they didn't have to deal with flying alone this time.





Look at the happy faces!!!


His luggage arrived with him.


More good news. My daughter called this morning to tell me granddaughter #2 took her first few steps alone. She will be 1 year old tomorrow. Her birthday party is going to be sunday. I guess I better go shopping, huh. Me, the procrastinator.

Cindy (tinta)

2 comments:

  1. Traveling can be a bit annoying at times. I have spent a few nights sleeping on airport benches. Your son was lucky to have a hotel room! I learned to carry a toothbrush and a few essentials in my carry on just in case. Glad he is home safe and sound!
    Peace,
    Ki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that you are from Illinois....I live in the Bloomington/Normal area. I recognize that statue. I guess there could be more than one, but the airport in Bloomington (Illinois) has that sculpture/statue....the cute little old business man sitting on the bench. I thought it was neat when I saw it too.

    ReplyDelete