Saturday, February 7, 2009

WEEKLY PICTURE


Not much to right about this one. I think once you see this one, you might recognize it. My grandma used to use it as a door stop. She would let me play with it. I used to move the tail up and down to make the mouth look like it was barking. Every once in awhile grandma would have some nuts on hand to let me crack them. It really didn't do a very good job. I could see them being given as gag gifts.










HERE'S A BONUS PICTURE SINCE I DIDN'T POST ONE LAST WEEK




A Glass Float?

I'm really not sure what this is called. I believe it is some kind of floating thing. Was it attached to a net, along with many others, for something to do with fishing?

This one I need your help on. What to you think it is? It's glass with a thick jute-like rope woven around it. The glass is supposed to be clear but has been 'etched' over the years. I think that because if you move the rope, the glass is clear underneath it but the open areas have that 'etched' look.

I would love to hear your ideas.

Cindy (tinta)

4 comments:

  1. Cindy,
    I think you are right on the glass ball. I suspect it has an official name and I'll be darn if I know what it is. I love glass balls, (without the ropes) as they make fabulous decorative accessories!
    Peace,
    Ki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Cindy...the glass ball with the jute around it is a fishing net float. a lot of them are from Japan, and you can find them for sale in just about any water town. the cool thing is the size range they come in...I've seen them the size of a tennis ball up to "OMG how do you lift that" size!! my mother was into nautical stuff when we lived near New Bedford, Massachussetts and she had clusters of these balls hanging, along with cork lobster pot floats on the side of our barn. it's a great collectible, and depending on the age, can be quite expensive. *elaine*

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have one of those dog nut crackers that belonged to my husbands grandfather. It sits on top of our bookcase in the den.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, i have one of those glass floats that was my mothers, a little smaller than a soccer ball. she said it was a japanese float. it helps hold the net up when you cast out so you can find it easily and it won t sink to the bottom. min e does not have net on it and it has no etching on it so it may not have been used as much as yours or yours stayed in water a lot more then outside.
    we didn t have a nut cracker like that but this time i knew what you had, lol.
    kudzu

    ReplyDelete