Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MY SON'S ADVENTURE FLYING ALONE

My son is 19 years old but not the greatest person at following directions. Driving that is. Well, today my husband and I just saw him off on his first trip on a plane by himself. He has been on a plane before but it was four years ago and he was with a group. So, the way I look at it, this his first time flying. I was a little worried cuz I knew he was going to have an hour to wait in Atlanta. I had a bad feeling that he wouldn't be able to find the boarding gate. I just kept telling myself that he's a big boy now and I don't need to worry about him. (ha ha)

We had to get up at 2:30 this morning to get us and the suitcase packed cuz we had an hour and a half drive to get him to the airport. Nowadays you have to get yourself and luggage checked in an hour before your flight. Well, his flight was leaving at 6:10a.m. so we wanted to be there by 5:00a.m. We are not a family that flies. You can't get my husband on an airplane. So, it's obvious that we don't know the workings of an airport. We were sure we would get lost or screw something up so we wanted to have plenty of recovery time. All in all it went down like we were pros. Got his boarding pass, luggage tag and gave his luggage to the right person. We were good!! All done in plenty of time so we went to a so-called restaurant and had a little breakfast and chatted for a while. Then they announced that they were boarding the plane. He went thru the detector and it went off. Oh, great. Good thing it turned out to only be his belt. He took it off and stepped thru again. He passed!! Now off to Atlanta, Georgia.


We got a call from him at 7:50a.m. We were literally walking in the door at home. Wow, he went have way across the US in the same amount of time it took us to drive home. Flight went good. It seems I worried for nothing. Then.....Yep, I knew it!! We get a phone call at 9:00a.m. My heart skipped a beat knowing that he should be sitting on the plane on his way to Colorado. Yea, right!! You guessed, he missed his flight. Me, being the cool headed one in the family, the one that never panics, gave my directional challenged son instructions as to what to do. We hung up the phone so he can concentrate on the task at hand. A few minutes later, he called to say that they got him on the next flight out at 11:30a.m. A two hour wait but he's still gonna make it to his destination.


Now my next worry is the luggage situation. It's gonna arrive in Colorado before him and have to sit around and wait for him for 2 hours. All the bad scenarios are running thru my head. I don't dare say a word or panic will set in on both hubby and son. We talk to him a few times while he waits, alone, in an airport. My plan is to call him a half an hour before his flight time so he doesn't miss this one. I called like I planned and all is going good. I asked him to call me when he is sitting on the plane so I know that he hasn't missed this one. Then a call. I looked at the time and knew that it was too early to be on the plane and instantly thought that they cancelled the flight or some stupid thing. Airplanes are never early, right!?! Well, this one was. I nearly had a heart attack when he said he was sitting on the plane. The first thing out of my mouth was, "are you sure you're on the right one?" I know, stupid question. They wouldn't have let him board the wrong plane. Would they? No, they didn't. Good!!! The next time we talk to him will be after he has landed in Colorado. Got the call at 2:30p.m. that he was there safe and sound but he couldn't find his luggage. Yep, I knew it!!!! So, I got on the internet and got the baggage pick-up areas floor plan. That didn't work, he still couldn't find it. So I called lost and found. Are those people for real. I hope they don't get paid for working that job cuz all three people I talked to claimed they don't work for the lost and found. My next plan was to convince my son to give up and we'll buy him some new clothes. If you lose your luggage at an airport it won't return, this year anyway. Just as I hung up from the so-called lost and found, my son called to say he had found it. He's not sure how it got to where he found it but it's back into his possession now. Now, the last hurdle to jump is to find the right area to wait for his ride. I give up!!! You're on your own Son.


All this going on while I'm coming down with a sinus cold. Sneezing, blowing my nose every five minutes, head that feels like a balloon just to the point of popping. My nose is starting to shine like Rudolph's. Then keeping my mother-in-law up to date with how her precious grandson is doing. Reassuring her that everything is going good. My chickens are out of feed and the feed store wasn't open yesterday (MLK) so I definitely had to do that today. Then my 3 year old granddaughter had to come see her grandma. I have been missing her so much I couldn't pass up the chance to give her hugs and kisses.


The clock just chimed eight times. Wow, is it really 8 o'clock!! It is still Tuesday isn't it? I better get some pictures loaded here so I can go crash.










This scene was one of the first things we saw when we got to the airport. I would love to have that sitting in my yard. What a conversation piece it would make!!




My son and husband giving me one of those looks. I had just taken the picture of the statue and lady (the one above). They both think I'm nuts. (ha ha)




Here is our server. She makes a mean breakfast, too. (ha ha)




Checking the boarding pass. This is where he goes on and we stay behind.




Waiting to go thru the detector. Notice no shoes.






Going thru the detector again cuz he had to take his belt off. He's holding onto them tight.



There he goes. At this point I'm hoping he can find where he is to board the plane.

Night all. I hope you enjoyed the story as much as I enjoyed living it. I have one more thing that happened today, but I'm too tired to tell you about right now. You'll just have to check back tomorrow.

Cindy (tinta)

No comments:

Post a Comment