Friday, January 23, 2009

WEEKLY PICTURE



Well, today is friday, and time for a new picture. This one isn't gonna be a hard one. I'm sure most people have seen or used one these in their lifetime. Maybe at Grandma's house for Sunday dinner? Maybe sitting on display in Grandma's china cabinet as a reminder of the good ole days? Or if Grandma didn't have one, I'm sure you've seen them at antique stores and auctions by the dozens.






Are you ready to see it.......................






















Yes, another 'animal'. For some of you, you probably already know what it is, right.













You're right. A salt cellar.








F.Y.I. - Salt Cellars (aka salt dips) were used from the middle ages to about the 1940's. Salt cellars were then replaced by the salt shaker in 1950. Not long after that, the salt cellars became a collectors item. There is a slight difference between the 'cellar' and the 'dip'. The 'cellar' had a lid (like this one) and the 'dip' didn't. If the salt cellar had a spoon with it, then it was usually used by the 'head of the table' and then passed around to the others at the table. The most popular material to make these with was glass, pewter and wood. This is the only one I have that has a 'lid'.

I remember using the salt dips. In my neck of the woods, when the garden started producing is when the salt dips came out. There would always be raw veggies sitting on the table at meal time. Everybody would have their own salt dip to dip their veggies into the salt before taking a bite. Anybody that knows me, knows I don't like veggies except for maybe carrots but not if they're cooked. I would lick my finger then dip it into the salt and then lick the salt off.


Hope you enjoyed your stroll down memory lane.
Cindy (tinta)

2 comments:

  1. I learned something new today! Thanks for that bit of info. I am hoping the question comes up next time I play a trivia game. The difference between salt dip and salt cellar is...
    Peace,
    Ki

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOl you know what I first thought it was? a sewing bird! I thought that that was a clamp to tighten it to the table edge :D...never would've guessed salt cellar, I've never seen one with a lid. I have about 5 of the old glass ones, we dug those up when digging the ditches at my Granny's old house in town.
    Kudzu
    Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete